8/16/11

Honestly, I'm kinda tired of trying to be the "Cool" Christian.

I currently have about 5 emails/correspondence or ideas going on with others. Currently I've heard back from one of the five. I find it harder and harder to actually "communicate" in our 140 character or less world. Sometimes things take more than a short paragraph to communicate. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having twitter and Facebook . . . and Google plus . . . and LinkedIn . . . and You Tube. . . and FourSquare (get the point!). While all these outlets are made to enable us to be more "social", in reality all it allows us to do is have a mostly one way conversation. Actually, its not really a conversation, its more of a monologue - you can comment back, but you can't really talk to me. These are MY platforms to say what I WANT- problem, thats not a conversation. (Ironically, this is very much a monologue I am typing right now, but thats not the point :-)!

Just because you have a social media following doesn't make you a good leader, or even a good "Cool" Christian. I don't think Christ would have had many followers on Facebook, or even be that interested in Social Media for that matter. From what I've read he seemed more interested in spending time with "ACTUAL" people. You might not want to see where he checks in on Four Square, and I doubt most of his posts would get "re-tweeted" or "Plused" on Google.

In regards to faith, it requires us to be "catchy and cute" in order to have any significance. The "Cool" Christians can build their social platform complete with many followers and therefore can expound on how great their Christian walk is. AND if you just buy their CD or book - perhaps you can have a Christian life like theirs. Honestly, I'm kinda tired of trying to be the "Cool" Christian.

I know that the faith community would say "Oh, you don't have to try to be cool, just be a good Christ-follower". But, what that really means is- Sing this new catchy song, wear the right necklace and wrist bracelets. Then buy some trendy clothes and look like you just rolled out of bed-  OH AND DON"T FORGET to have a cool "faith-tattoo" (or faith-too as I call them) and the world will see that you are cool and just maybe they will want to be that kind of Christian. Please understand, I don't necessarily have anything against any of those parts of someones lifestyle- if that's who they REALLY are. But I venture to say that the majority spend a lot of time and money trying to create the "Cool" Christian look. I've tried too, and I must say - its EXHAUSTING.

Can we just talk, or even email- you know that among all the cool features that an iPhone has, it can also make phone calls (unless you're on AT&T- then it might not).  Oh, wait I think I'm using too many characters in this blog, guess I'll have to shorten it so I don't get cut o

1 comment:

  1. Kevin Neely Note- this wasn't written with any one group or person in mind, just my thoughts- perhaps more about my struggles to fit into modern Christianity.

    ReplyDelete