1/27/11

Spring Is Coming

So ever since Narnia and the lyrics from a SCC song, the phrase "Spring is Coming" has represented a renewal and a type of salvation (reclaiming the old and making it new) in my mind. The obvious representation of the actual season of spring which brings nature back to life from its winter sleep, is a great analogy of what happens in our life a lot.

Yes, there is the spiritual inference that stands perhaps most obvious, both the initial acceptance of Christ and the constant renewal of our spirit. But our lives in general often go through seasons, times of prosperity and famine, success and failure. The only way we can stand back and make any sense of it is through perspective. We (my wife & I) are on the way back up from being in the valley for quite a long time. 2010 marked a turn for us that I believe will continue through 2011. I have a tendency to get too involved in the roller coaster of emotions that accompany the ups and downs, and not focus on the ride itself.

I know that compared to the rest of the world, most of my problems are nothing. Being frustrated by the ridiculously slow car in front of me is such an "American" problem, that it seems selfish. (Although, 10 mph under the speed limit is not necessary!) Having the sense to stand back and see the bigger picture is something we work towards, but I'm not sure we ever attain. I do know that I've begun to reference points in my life as twists and turns in the road - the road I had to take to get where I am now. Good or bad, it MY road, and the greatest hope I can hold on to is that no matter what, its a season. One of the best mental phrases I can keep in my mind is "Spring is Coming".

If you're on top of the mountain, enjoy the time- cause you don't know when you will start heading back down the other side. Its fun and safe "Up on the Mountain" (to reference another SCC song :-) As spring really is coming (the sooner the better - I'm over the snow), we look forward to the new life that comes, and make plans to thrive in the summer. If you're in the valley, Spring IS coming - it may be a long winter, but its only for a season. You might be in spring right now, or on your way up; be happy, plan wisely and keep relying on the one who has the strength to get you to the top.
Finally, remember if we didn't have winter, spring wouldn't be so desired! Live in the season you are in, and welcome the one thats coming next.
~K

No comments:

Post a Comment